granges doubles situées à Notre-Dame-du-Nord
Granges doubles Perreault

granges doubles situées à Notre-Dame-du-Nord

Year : 2016

Photo credit : Frédéric Patoine

Perreault Twin Barns

A man named Jacques Caron first owned the farm from 1908–1915. In 1915, Joseph Ephrem Lanouette (1870–1945), husband of Nélida Morency (1873–1962), purchases the farm. A first barn is built in 1918 (31 X 100 ft, east-west orientation). Two years later, in 1920, a cowshed is annexed to the barn (25 X 45 ft, east-west orientation). The first barn later undergoes major renovations at both ends (between 1920 and 1943). The east end becomes a manure shed (29 X 31 ft) and is built a few metres from its original location. The west end is moved down the northern side of the property and used to store machinery (29 X 31 ft).

Afterwards, Adjutor Lanouette (1906–1996) and his wife Cécile Rivard (1915–1998) take over the family farm, where they raise nine children: six girls and three boys. In 1943, they build a new cowshed with a French roof behind the existing barn and cowshed. The new building has a north-south orientation. At the southern end, Mr. Lanouette sets up a milk house that can accommodate 18 cows. Upstairs, they set up a hen house that can hold up to 100 birds. The rest of the space in the buildings is used to store hay and grain and to set up calf and horse pens, etc.

At first, Jacques Lanouette and a neighbour were to take over the family farm. However, for various reasons things work out differently and it is his sister Suzanne’s husband, Guy Perreault—born at the foot of what is now known as the “côtes à Perreault”—who buys the farm in 1977 to keep it in the family. From then on, the barns have a rather recreational vocation. A beautiful concrete slab is poured, and the barns become a roller rink to entertain the children.

In 2016, Mr. Perreault and Suzanne Lanouette had parted ways, but Mr. Perreault still lives on the property and continues to maintain and care for the barns. Today the barns are filled with all kinds of treasures and artifacts that are worthy of a museum.

*These heritage items are private property; please admire them from public roads.

Extrémité Est amputée à la 1ere grange

Year : 2016

Photo credit : Frédéric Patoine

Vue du 3e étage de la grange au comble français

Year : 2016

Photo credit : Frédéric Patoine

Ancien tracteur restauré aux couleurs d'origine

Year : 2016

Photo credit : Frédéric Patoine

Porte façade Est

Year : 2016

Photo credit : Frédéric Patoine

Collection de poulies dans la grange

Year : 2016

Photo credit : Frédéric Patoine

Structure intérieure des granges

Year : 2016

Photo credit : Frédéric Patoine

Ancien poulailler

Year : 2016

Photo credit : Frédéric Patoine

L'origine des granges Perreault

entrevue avec M. Perreault

Year : 2019

Photo credit : TV Témis

Address

82 QC-101, Saint-Bruno-de-Guigues, QC, Canada

Municipality

Notre-Dame-du-Nord

Category

Double barns

Sector

North

You would like to share a picture of this attraction?

Back to top